- Full screen display (F11) removes toolbars.
- When Returning to a page you have visited before, refresh to use the most updated copy.
- When the display is jammed, Pressing Ctrl/F5 updates also the format (style).
- Pressing Ctrl while using the mouse wheel, will increase and decrease webpage font size. Alternatively, Ctrl/+ will increase font size, and Ctrl/- will decrease font size.
- Pressing Ctrl/Home jumps to top of page.
- Pressing Ctrl/End jumps to top of page.
- Press Ctrl/f to search text in the page.
- The best surfing performance is on Saturday morning.
- Surfing performance is affected by your system response time
- Keep at least 40% of your disk space free.
- Clean your disk from unnecessary files (I use the Microsoft system tool "Disk Cleanup").
- Defragment your disk (I use the Microsoft system tool "Disk Defragmenter").
- Remove unnecessary installed programs.
- Clean the system registry (I use CCleaner).
- Remove unnecessary programs from the system startup.
- Adding toolbars usually degrade performance, as it initializes background operations.
I built this website using stuff I found in the internet. My site is coded using pure CSS, without any table.
- It is advisable to write an SSL secured site (https).
- I started learning HTML and CSS from HTMLSource.
- I followed the 12 Principles For Keeping Your Code Clean.
- I modified my website to be Responsive (Mobile-friendly, Multi-screen site).
- I Use the Fetch as Google feature in Google Webmaster Tools to see how Googlebot is seeing my content, and Responsive Design Testing across Devices.
- I kept SEO best practices.
- In specific cases, such as styling forms, I used a CSS Generator.
- I use Google PageSpeed Insights to check the load time of my pages, and what steps I need to take to fix it.
- If you are eco-conscious, consider using reverse color schemes, that is light-colored text on a dark background. Even if the energy savings are small, they are representative of the need for each of us to start taking small steps to save energy.
- I checked for tags' validity in W3Schools.
- I validated my syntax using W3C Markup Validation Service.
- I ensured Browser Compatibility of my pages.
- Periodically I check my website for broken links, using Xenu's Link Sleuth.
- Stu's CSSplay website is a goldmine. It includes creative and stimulating examples, and is handled both professionally and passionately. Stu's code "feels" solid and robust, while not missing out on ease of use and friendliness both to the viewer and the webmaster. You will feel safe that Stu's code will be well looked after in future browser versions. I also used Stu's service to modify my website to be responsive.
- The real-time chart against Google Analytics data at the bottom of my About This Website page is embedded from EmbeddedAnalytics.com.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- I perform ongoing website promotion activities (e.g. 101 Quick SEO Tips).
- I built inbound links such as:
- Linking to relevant pages from other pages on my website.
- Setting up a blog using Blogger, linked to my website.
- Submitting my website to search engines and directories; a link from a quality index promotes the site. I do not recommend using free search engine submission services, as your submitted page will get banned by Google.
- Opening personal pages in social and professional networks, forums and blogs, with links to my website.
- Adding social networks share buttons to my pages.
- Publishing articles in different sites, with links to my website; writing talkbacks with links to my site.
- I added an option of registering to a distribution list, and receive update notifications about new content in my site.
- I monetized the traffic in my website by adding ads (e.g. the video clip Want to get advertisers on your blog/vlog? Go and GET IT!, Monetization Manual, Google AdSense).